Council Tax Exemption for Students

For Council Tax purposes this property is let only to students who are exempt from Council Tax. The information required to determine if you can be classed as an exempt student can be found on the Aberdeen City Council website.

The following is one extract from that site. To confirm that you fully understand all aspects of Council Tax with respect to your own situation you are recommended to read the information supplied on associated pages of the Aberdeen City website.

Who is classed as a student?

There are 3 definitions of full-time students used for Council Tax purposes:

Full time students in further or higher education
A full-time course is defined as one that lasts for at least one academic year. The Student is required to attend for at least 24 weeks a year and undertake, on average, at least 21 hours of study and tuition in each of those weeks. This includes Students undertaking work experience, but only if the periods of study exceed the periods of work experience when aggregated over the whole course. If work experience exceeds study then it will not be treated as a full-time course of education.
N.B. Student nurses studying academic courses at university or college will be treated as full-time students for Council Tax purposes.
Students under 20 in non-advanced education
For Council Tax purposes, these students are said to be undertaking "qualifying courses of education". The main conditions are that the student is under 20 years of age, is studying on a course up to but not above Higher level, Ordinary National Certificate (ONC) or Ordinary National Diploma (OND) and is normally required to study for at least 12 hours per week. Also the course should be for at least three months duration.
Foreign Language Assistants
This requires the assistant to be registered with the Central Bureau for Education Visits and Exchanges.